The Central Railways Environment and House-keeping Management (EnHM) department is relentlessly working to achieve environmental sustainability targets through various measures. These measures are undertaken in accordance with norms issued by Hon’ble National Green Tribunal (NGT) and Railway Board with respect to water conservation.
Central Railway has more than 32 water treatment plants for treating sewage and effluents through which more than one crore litre of water is treated every day which comes as a sustainable solution to the growing water crisis besides eliminating the discharge of polluted water into the environment. This treated water is then used for cleaning purposes like washing tracks, mopping station floors etc. and not for potable purposes like drinking or cooking.
In 2022, 10 new water treatment plants have been commissioned with the capacity of producing 1575 KiloLitres per day (KLD) of water that includes-
• 2 Water Recycling Plants at Lokmanya Tilak Terminus of 120 KLD capacity each
• Sewage Treatment Plant (STP) at Ahmednagar with 50 KLD capacity
• Nashik Road STP with 200 KLD capacity
• Akola STP 500 KLD capacity
• Khandwa STP 500 KLD capacity
• Kopargaon STP 15 KLD capacity
• Solapur STP 15 KLD capacity
• Ajni, Nagpur STP with 40 KLD capacity
• Sainagar Shirdi STP with 15 KLD capacity
Due to these extensive measures in water conservation Central Railway has recorded a decrease of 6.3% in Fresh Water Consumption and looks ahead in conserving water resources through Water Audits and Savings Projections at major consumption centres throughout the zone.