In a significant partnership, Google has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Government of Maharashtra to drive innovation and implement scalable AI solutions in critical sectors such as agriculture, healthcare, sustainability, education, and startups. The collaboration, which includes the establishment of an AI Centre of Excellence, aims to leverage Google’s AI leadership and technological expertise to contribute to the state’s development.
Key Areas of Collaboration:
1. AI Innovation and Entrepreneurship: Google will support the AI ecosystem in Maharashtra by providing mentorship, networking opportunities, and demo days for startups. Select startups will have access to Google experts, industry leaders, and potential investors. Eligible VC-funded AI startups will receive Cloud credits, technical training, and business support through Google’s AI Startup programme.
2. AI Skilling: Google will assist government-led skills training and education initiatives by launching high-demand skills courses on YouTube. A train-the-trainer programme for educators and the equipping of 500 government IT professionals with AI skills are part of this collaboration.
3. AI for Healthcare: The partnership aims to explore the adoption of human-centred AI in healthcare, utilizing medical AI tools for population-scale impact. Google and its partners will provide state-of-the-art Health AI imaging models to enhance access to care through AI-enabled screening.
4. AI for Agriculture: Google will provide its Agricultural Landscape Understanding (ALU) API to offer in-depth insights about farmland using remote sensing AI/ML technology. This data will support the development of innovative, data-driven agricultural initiatives in the state.
5. Sustainability: The collaboration will focus on sharing AI-powered tools for environmental resilience, including real-time air pollution monitoring, training city planners to leverage AI-powered building footprints, and optimizing traffic lights under Project Greenlight.
Additionally, Google Cloud’s AI and machine learning technologies will be explored for pilot solutions in citizen engagement, government scheme access, and an AI-powered pilot for farmer assistance in Maharashtra. The establishment of a state-of-the-art AI Center of Excellence at IIIT Nagpur is part of the government’s commitment to advancing AI initiatives.
Deputy Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis expressed excitement about the partnership, seeing AI as key to unlocking a more prosperous, equitable, and sustainable future for the state. Sanjay Gupta, Country Head & VP, Google India, emphasized the goal to empower citizens, create opportunities, foster innovation, and bring the transformative power of AI to the people of Maharashtra. The collaboration reflects a shared commitment to harnessing AI for the benefit of society and the state’s progress.