MSEDCL begins investigation into electrocution of youth in Bhusari colony

Share This News

Pune: A tragic incident occurred on Monday evening, March 20,  when a 22-year-old youth died while exercising at an open gym in Bhusari Colony, Kothrud. The cause of his death was initially suspected to be electrocution, but the preliminary technical inspection and various other tests found no electricity connection near the open gym.

The Electricity Inspectorate Department of the State Government was immediately informed by Maharashtra State Electricity Distribution Company Limited (MSEDCL), and on Tuesday, March 21 electricity inspectors began investigating the matter through inspection and tests.

According to reports from the inspectors, further action will be taken by MSEDCL. Following the incident, the Additional Executive Engineer, Branch Engineer, and members of the public of Kothrud sub-division of MSEDCL inspected the incident place, which was an open gym on a footpath next to an open field. They found a distribution block on one side of the walkway and a mini feeder pillar on the other side, with a 30-meter-long low voltage underground power line between them.

Preliminary inspections and tests conducted by MSEDCL showed that there was no electricity flow in any of the equipment of the open gym. The fuse was not blown, and there was no power cut. The underground power line was also tested by a cable testing van, which found it to be in good condition.

On Tuesday, March 21 morning, a team of electrical inspectors arrived at the scene, and the underground low-pressure channel was again tested by cable testing van in the presence of the Police Department and General Distribution Officers. Megger value and voltage level tests were conducted, and no electric shock was detected. However, more inspections and tests are underway by electrical inspectors in this regard.

Mrunal Jadhav 

Joyville