The Rooftop Solar Programme, initiated in 2014, sets a goal to elevate India’s residential rooftop solar installed capacity to 40 GW by March 2026, currently in its second phase. Noteworthy progress has been made, with capacity rising from 1.8 GW (March 2019) to 10.4 GW (November 2023). The scheme empowers consumers through DISCOM tendered projects or the National Portal (www.solarrooftop.gov.in).
Minister RK Singh elucidated that consumers, via the National Portal, choose vendors, ensuring flexibility in solar equipment selection. DISCOMs facilitate technical feasibility approval, net-meter installation, and system inspection. Post-installation, the subsidy directly reaches the consumer’s bank account.
Additionally, surplus solar power from rooftop installations can be exported to the grid, adhering to metering provisions by State Electricity Regulatory Commissions (SERCs).
The Pradhan Mantri Suryodaya Yojana extends solar accessibility to one crore families, alleviating electricity bills for low and middle-income households. Beneficiaries can install rooftop systems through approved channels within the defined capacity limits set by State Electricity Regulatory Commissions.
Through the Pradhan Mantri Suryodaya Yojana, 1 crore families will be given access to rooftop solar energy. This scheme is meant to help poor and
middle-income households lower their electricity bills.
The interested beneficiary may install the solar rooftop systems through project developers/system integrators/manufactures etc. after taking necessary approval from DISCOMs within the capacity limit as laid down in the order of respective State Electricity Regulatory Commission/Joint Electricity Regulatory Commission of the respective States/UTs
How to apply, Stepwise Procedure
Step 1 :
Register in the portal with the following
• Select your State & Electricity Distribution Company
• Enter your Electricity Consumer Number, Mobile Number & Email
• Login with Consumer Number & Mobile Number
• Apply for the Rooftop Solar as per the form
• Once you get the feasibility approval, get the plant installed by any of the registered vendors in your DISCOM
• Once installation is completed , submit the plant details and apply for net meter
• Commissioning certificate will be generated from the portal, after installation of net meter and inspection by DISCOM
• Once you got the commissioning report submit bank account details and a cancelled cheque through the portal. Subsidy will come your account within 30 working days