Pune Porsche accident: Teen’s mother requested driver to take blame for crash,shocking details emerge; all you need to know

Pune Porsche accident: Teen's mother requested driver to take blame for crash,shocking details emerge; all you need to know

Pune Porsche accident: Teen's mother requested driver to take blame for crash,shocking details emerge; all you need to know

Share This News

Pune’s Commissioner of Police, Amitesh Kumar, revealed that the family of a 17-year-old boy, who killed two young IT professionals in a Porsche Taycan accident, pressured the family driver to take the blame. The accident occurred on May 19 in Kalyani Nagar, Pune.

According to the Pune Police, the driver’s family was coerced by the boy’s father, Vishal Agarwal, and grandfather, Surendra Agarwal, to assume responsibility for the crash. The family allegedly used threats, money, and gifts to persuade the driver, Gangadhar.

Commissioner Kumar told The Times of India, “We have recorded the driver’s statement. He mentioned that around 2:45 am on Sunday (after the accident), the builder (father of the boy) called him up. The builder told him to claim that he was behind the wheel of the car when the accident occurred. The builder’s wife also emotionally requested him to take responsibility for the accident. The family members offered him various incentives to do so.”

Following a complaint from Gangadhar, the Pune Police charged Vishal and Surendra under IPC sections 365 and 368 for kidnapping, threatening, and confining the driver to the family’s Wadgaonsheri residence on the night of the incident.

In court, the police stated that Gangadhar’s clothes were recovered from the Agarwal house and sought custody of the BMW allegedly used in the kidnapping. The teen’s grandfather was sent to police custody until May 28.

His lawyer argued that Surendra was in Delhi with his wife on the night of the incident. The police cited the grandfather’s criminal history, which includes cases of cheating, attempted murders, and making criminal threats, to justify his custody.

Vishal Agarwal was arrested on Tuesday and is currently jailed in connection with another case related to the accident. He is also mentioned in the First Information Report (FIR).

The minor is in a government observatory home in Yerawada after the Juvenile Justice Board (JJB) canceled his bail plea on Wednesday.

What Happened on May 19?

On May 19, a Porsche, allegedly driven by the intoxicated teenager, crashed into two software engineers on a motorbike in Kalyani Nagar. The collision resulted in the deaths of Anish Awadhiya and Ashwini Koshta, both 24 years old.

The teen driver, said to be speeding at a very speed after drinking heavily, has been sent to an observation home till June 5 as the Juvenile Justice Board considers the police plea for permission to try him as an adult. The teen’s father, a prominent realtor, has been arrested under sections of the Juvenile Justice Act.

Two engineers — Ashwini Kostha and Anish Awadhiya — were on the bike when the Porsche hit their bike from behind. They died on the spot. The boy was granted bail within 15 hours of the accident on conditions seen as flimsy. He was asked to write a 300-word essay on road accidents, told to work with traffic cops for 15 days and seek counselling for his drinking habit.

Amid nationwide outrage, the Juvenile Justice Board later modified the order and sent him to the observation home.

Commissioner Kumar explained, “After the accident, the minor, his friends, and the driver were taken to the police station. Initially, the driver claimed he was behind the wheel. The police did not believe him and registered the case against the minor.”

The police stated that after recording his statement, Vishal and his family followed Gangadhar home. “They forced him into their car and drove him to their bungalow in Wadgaonsheri. He was confined in a room, his phone confiscated, and no one was allowed to meet him.

The next day, the driver’s wife went to the builder’s bungalow searching for her husband but was not allowed to meet him. The builder’s family made many promises to her, asking her to convince her husband to take the blame,” Kumar said.

Kumar added, “Later in the day, the driver was allowed to return home with a warning. Following this, he went into hiding for two days and resurfaced on Thursday. When we took him to the crime branch for questioning on Thursday, more details about the case unfolded.

Considering the criminal background of the boy’s grandfather, we have provided round-the-clock protection to the driver under the Witness Protection Act. The crime branch has been ordered to investigate all three cases: the accident, the case against the minor’s father, and this new case of abduction and confinement.”